How to Fix a Pinhole on a Kitchen Faucet. A pinhole leak may look so small but a few droplets of water can steadily add up to hundreds to thousands of water gallons. For this figure, you want your faucet fixed, which is why this article reveals how to fix a pinhole on a faucet.
Unfortunately, there is no permanent fix for a pinhole on your kitchen faucet, so you have to replace it. You can settle with a temporary fix, but as the name implies, it is temporary. The best solution is to replace your kitchen sink faucet, which is a DIY-able process.
Typically, cheapie faucets go bad easily underneath the spout. This means that you need a good faucet when investing in a replacement to get rid of the pinhole problem. You do not have to replace the faucet sometime in a few months like you would if you bought a cheapie.
What Causes a Pinhole Drip on Your Kitchen Faucet?
This is a process of zinc removal from the brass that could be caused by brackish acid, salt solutions, poorly grounded plumbing systems, or mildly acidic solutions. During dezincification, the copper redeposited in the affected area copper fragile and porous, resulting in a pinhole.
The O-ring is a stem screw that secures the faucet handle in place, with a small attached disc. However, regular use can cause O-rings to wear out, causing a leak or drip near the handle. This is usually the case in cartridge faucets.
Water pressure can cause pinholes, especially if the faucet manufacturing materials are of low quality. You will require a faucet with good quality stainless steel water supply lines that lasts longer than plastic water supply lines.
Corroded Valve Seat
The valve seat connecting the spout to the water mechanism can corrode due to mineral deposits and sediment. Of course, this causes a leak in that spout area.
It is a common cause of pinholes in your kitchen faucet. Eventually, water minerals corrode the copper, causing pinholes.
How to Fix a Pinhole on a Kitchen Faucet
There is no permanent fix for a pinhole on a kitchen faucet. However, the following temporary solutions might help:
Screw in a Stainless Steel
First, turn off the main water supply. Get about a 3mm bore drill and drill the venting hole larger. Get a short stainless steel screw, add a rubber washer on it and screw it into the larger hole you just drilled. The stainless steel screw should compress the rubber washer when you fully secure it.
Alternatively, you can solder over the pinhole of your faucet. Unfortunately, this only works temporarily, or not at all, meaning you have to completely replace the kitchen faucet.
First, sand the affected area and add two-part epoxy putty, holding it down into the pinhole on your kitchen sink faucet. Give it time to dry.
Unfortunately, no epoxy or glue is a permanent fix, so you have to replace your kitchen faucet to get rid of the leak. Even if epoxy keeps the leak for a while, think about the horrendous finish that patching will leave on your kitchen faucet. It destroys the premium finish your faucet adds to your contemporary kitchen.
Replace Your Faucet
The best solution is to replace your faucet. It could be your fallback option, otherwise, it is the go-to solution. Most fix-it attempts are temporary, whereas a replacement gives a longer solution, especially if you invest in a good quality replacement kitchen faucet.
Best Kitchen Faucet Without Pinhole Problems
Kohler K-560-CP Bellera
Why should you invest in the Kohler K-560-CP Bellera:
- Design. The Kohler Bellera brings a luxuriously vibrant stainless finish, polished chrome, and oil-rubbed bronze touch to complement your modern kitchen.
- Technology. Investing in the touchless technology Bellera with an intuitive motion sensor brings elevated hygiene, convenience, and smart experience to your kitchen. Your messy hands never litter the faucet handle. Additionally, Bellera supports increasing the flow rate of your kitchen faucet by 30% by simply touching a button.
- 360 pull-down functionality. You can now ease your kitchen chore and enhance your dishing style with the 360-degree pull-down support. This functionality is also built to resist corrosion and preserve beauty. Click here to see on Amazon
Delta Faucet Keele
What makes the Delta Faucet Keele your kitchen sink solution:
- 360 Swivel. It features low-arch 360-degrees swivels with a 20-inch retractable hose that brings kitchen convenience. You can toggle between spray and stream with the dual-function sprayer.
- Mineral residue solution. Its soft rubber holes are designed to enable you to wipe of mineral residue easier than you would on a traditional kitchen faucet.
- Hose design. Welcome to a 20-inch retractable hose design that lets you reach all your cleaning tasks from one spot. Click here to see on Amazon
Moen 87028SRS Edwyn
- Spray technology. It supports dual spray functions that streamline how you switch from a powerful rinse to an aerated stream for convenient washing.
- Spot resistance. The typical kitchen needs spot resistance, the Edwyn brings this functionality to get rid of fingerprints while preserving the premium look of your kitchen. It includes a soap dispenser to complement your kitchen life.
- Installation. Edwyn is built with the Duralock Quick Connect System that makes installation even easier. It supports up to four-hole sinks and countertops. Click here to see on Amazon
How to Replace Your Kitchen Faucet
You can replace a kitchen faucet yourself but it might be challenging to find the correct parts. Meanwhile, you are encouraged to take on DIY projects to improve your capabilities. Make sure to know when to let go.
This is a general guide to removing and replacing your kitchen sink faucet.
Turn off the water. You should find two valves beneath your kitchen sink, turn them counterclockwise to stop water from running.
If the shut-off valves will not turn off due to being frozen, you can shut off the main water supply.
Look for it in your home frontage next to a hose bibb. If you have the recirculating line, you can disconnect it before turning off the water. Finally, confirm that you turned off the water by turning on the kitchen faucet.
You can get fabric for the floor and head support like a pillow to rest your head on.
If you have a three-hole basic faucet, with, perhaps, say a cold and hot water line, you need a dishpan to collect water from the kitchen faucet and supply lines.
You might also need a flashlight, making sure to connect it high to keep it from water.
Get a small crescent wrench to remove the waterlines. A basic wrench can remove the faucet. Get one for about $20 if you do not already have it. Ensure to clean the sink top where you have the holes after removing the faucet.
Place the putty bead on the bottom of the faucet. Tighten the faucet with your basin wrench. Finally, tighten the stainless steel water supply lines and check for leaks.
You could always see a video tutorial on YouTube for kitchen faucet installation.
Even though it is advisable to get to work sometimes, a Professional should replace your kitchen faucet.
What to Do if Faucet Wobbles After Replacing It
If your faucet wobbles after installation, get an offset plumber’s wrench. Get under the sink once again and locate where the mounting nut meets the underside of your kitchen sink.
Tighten the nut with the wrench firmly. Ensure to position the faucet how you want it. Twist the nut and reposition the faucet if necessary. Tighten it again with the wrench until you get what you want.
This can be uncomfortable but worth it. Keep the crud from your eyes using safety glasses. Be patient, and do not hesitate to contact a professional if you cannot continue with it.
Final Thoughts on How to Fix a Pinhole on a Kitchen Faucet
You cannot permanently fix a pinhole on your kitchen faucet with silicon, super glue padding, or epoxy. These measures are temporary fixes and will also take away the premium finish on your kitchen as the faucet design appears poorly.
The best solution is to replace your faucet spout or the faucet to restore your convenient kitchen lifestyle.
Again, although replacing the faucet yourself opens you to a new challenge and experience, do not push beyond your abilities. Invite a professional to do the job.